Life is a journey, life skills need to be learned, education and health levels improved, outstanding charges in the justice system cleared and past wounds of abuse and family violence healed. At Winnipeg Inner City Missions we encourage each individual to identify their own ‘PATH’ forward. Ongoing support and advocacy is provided to each individual to encourage success achievement of their goals.
The First Steps to Employment Project offers support to single adults living in poverty and/or dysfunctional family or social units while they develop life skills. Housing is one aspect of this program. Our program is offered to single individuals, who are unemployed or underemployed and are committed to making positive changes to their lifestyle. We understand that individuals may need to take many first steps before feeling confident in pursuing a healthy way of life, and that is where our program can provide assistance.
Our approach is to offer confidential services and to advocate for the individual with the health care, justice, education systems and social service agencies. Without this type of personal support individuals often fail to make use of the existing services available to them.
To Qualify you must:
- Be between the ages of 30-50.
- Agree to obtain employment in the future
- Agree to participate in counseling
- Agree to volunteer a minimum of 3 hours a week within our center
You must be referred to the program by a worker or agency who knows you such as:
- Salvation Army
- Ma Mawi
- Pritchard House
- New Directions etc.
We are NOT a treatment centre. People with an addiction are welcomed to participate in the First Steps to Employment Projects only if:
- They have been clean and/or sober for a minimum of 1 year
- They have an assessment from participating in an addictions program
- They have a letter of reference from an addiction facility and from an AA, NA, or CA group which they have been attending on a regular basis, and agree to continue with this support.
To find out more about our program or to apply please Email or Fax our First Steps to Employment Project Coordinator, Crystal Mckeen at: Fax (204)-957-5001 or Email email@example.com